Dear Readers, Welcome to Power Plant Engineering Interview Questions and Answers have been designed specially to get you acquainted with the nature of questions you may encounter during your Job interview for the subject of Power Plant Engineering. These Power Plant Engineering Questions are very important for campus placement test and job interviews. As per my experience good interviewers hardly plan to ask any particular questions during your Job interview and these model questions are asked in the online technical test and interview of many IT & Non IT Industries.
1. Why is Electricity the most convenient form of Energy?
2. Name the different types of power plants where electricity is produced in bulk.
3. Which are the two basic parameters to decide while planning a power plant?
4. How is the total installed capacity of a power plant decided?
5. Name the factors on which the individual unit size of a power plant depend?
6. How does the fuel cost relate to the load and the cost of power generation?
7. Explain the effect of load factor on the cost of electricity generated
8. Name the four thermodynamic processes that constitute a Rankine Cycle.
9. Name the equipment used for carrying out each of the processes in Q. No. 8.
10. What is meant by ‘ mean temperature of heat addition’ ?
11. What is the effect of mean temperature on cycle efficiency?
12. How is the maximum pressure of a steam cycle fixed up?
13. What is reheating of steam in a steam power plant ?
14. What is the effect of reheat on cycle output and efficiency?
15. Why is reheating of steam necessary in practice?
16. Why is the thermal efficiency of a steam power plant less in a warm region?
17. What is ‘ regeneration’ in a steam power cycle?
18. What is the effect of regeneration on steam cycle output and efficiency?
19. What is the limit for dryness fraction of steam at the turbine outlet?
20. What is the function of a ‘deaerator’?
21. What is the optimum degree of regeneration?
22. What is a supercritical steam cycle?
23. Write the mathematical expression for’ boiler efficiency’ explaining all terms used.
24. What do you understand by cogeneration of power and process heat?
25. What is a back pressure turbine?
26. When is a back pressure turbine used?
27. What are the advantages of a reheat cycle?
28. What are the flaws of steam as the working fluid in a power cycle?
29. What are the disadvantages of a reheat cycle?
30. What is a ‘binary vapour cycle’?
31. Name the most common industry where cogeneration is used.
32. Name the various types of combined cycle plants?
33. What are the advantages of a stationary gas turbine for a utility system?
34. What are the advantages of combined cycle power generation?
35. What is the approximate area required for a coal based steam power planr?
36. What is the approx. daily coal consumption for a 500 MW steam power plant?
37. What is the approximate quantity of ash to be handled daily for above?
38. List out four main functions of a Coal handling plant.
39. Name four equipment used in a coal handling plant.
40. What is an electrostatic precipitator ?
41. What is the application of an electroscopic precipitator in a steam power plant?
42. What is the approximate quantity of cooling water required in a SPP?
43. What is a ‘ Load duration curve ’?
44. List out the electrical equipment in a power station.
45. What is the principle of working of an electric generator?
46. What is meant by a ‘step-up transformer’?
47. What is meant by switchgear in a power plant?
48. Name the elements of cost in a power plants.
49. Write the formula for total cost of electricity produced in a power plant.
50. What do you understand by the term ‘ fixed cost’?
51. What is meant by ‘ variables costs ‘ in a power plant?
52. What is higher heating value of coal?
53. What is meant by lower heating value of coal?
54. Why Carnot cycle cannot be used in practice?
55. What are the advantages of ‘cogeneration’?
56. Name the three T’s of combustion.
57. What is a Pulverizer?
58. What is the application of a pulverizer in a steam power plant.
59. Name any four High pressure boilers..
60. Give the special feature of Velox Boiler
61. Write the special feature of Loeffler boiler.
62. Write the three charateristics that differentiate normal boilers from HP boilers.
63. What are the special features of ‘ Benson Boilers’?
64. What is the special feature of Scmidt Hartman boilers..
65. What is a supercharged boiler?
66. What is a subcritical boiler?
67. Why is excess air always to be supplied for combustion?
68. Why is the flue gas analysis said to be measured on the dry basis?
69. Give the energy balance of a steam generator.
70. What is the function of FD fan? Where is it located?
71. What is an ID fan? Where is it located?
72. What do you understand by ‘balanced draft’?
73. What is the function of a steam generator?
74. What are the characteristic features of a fire tube boiler?
75. What are the characteristic features of a water tube boiler?
76. What are the characteristic features of a package boiler?
77. Which of the above would you recommend for operating at 65 bar pressure.
78. What is the function of an economizer?
79. What is the function of a superheater?
80. What is blow down? Why is it needed?
81. What are once-through boilers?
82. Name the advantage of a supercritical boiler.
83. What is meant by ‘ hard water’?
84. What is meant by ‘ soft water’?
85. What is meant by ‘hardness’ in water?
86. Name the main types of impurities found in ground water.
87. What is meant by ‘ temporary hardness’ in water.
88. What is meant by ‘ permanent hardness’ in water?
89. What is the function of an air preheater?
90. What is the difference between atomic number and mass number?
91. What is an isotope?
92. What is ‘amu’?
93. What do you understand by radioactive decay?
94. What do you understand by half- life?
95. What do you mean by mass defect and binding energy?
96. Explain a fission chain with an example.
97. What is a nuclear fission?
98. What is nuclear fusion?
99. What is the difference between a chemical reaction and a nuclear reaction.
100. What is critical mass?