1. What is adding value?
Adding value can be defined as adding extra item, image, product or service, which adds value to the product. For example a good-looking receptionist adds to the quality of hotel, a garnish on food adds to the value of the food. It can be service tool, service staff, environment, image of the owner or chef, etc. Travel agency adds value to the quality of hotel or vice versa.
2. Explain Adventure tourism, Attraction, Amenities, Back of the house.
• Adventure tourism - to convert the adventure into pleasure for the purpose of tourism business
• Attraction - Anything/object/activity, which attracts tourists and attach with it.
• Amenities - Extra facilities, service added with attraction, accessibility and accommodation to create tourism. It includes trust, friendship, hospitality, etc
• Back of the house- Staffs who are not directly involved in providing service. Guests rarely interact with them
3. What is continuously rendered service?
Continuously rendered services are those services, which are prepared and provided only to the customers who are physically present. This kind of service is not finished in instant time; it is a process, which is extended to a time limit. It is a kind of face-to-face interaction. For example reservation service, restaurant service, massage, etc
4. Define the terms: Excursionist, Front of the house, High-touch service
• Excursionist – This term is used for the temporary visitors, who do not even stay for twenty- four hours in a hotel.
• Front of the house – This term is used for the staffs who are directly involved in providing services to the guests in the hotel. For example receptionist, bellboys, gatekeeper, etc.
• High-touch service- These are those services which are already prepared but the customer receive it only when he wants. For e.g. room reservation, fast food, printed information, housekeeping service, etc
5. Explain hospitality in terms of hotel industry
Hospitality actually means, “taking care of guests in the best possible way".
• Organizing, providing services and looking care after guests is included in it.
• It means friendly and generous treatment of guests.
Hospitality industry includes all companies involved in providing services for guests. They provide more mental satisfaction than tangible objects.
6. Explain the terms Intangibility, Inseparability, Perishability, and Point of contact in hotel management.
• Intangibility- It can be explained as services, which cannot be seen, tested, felt heard or smell or measured before they are delivered and received by customer. For example, travel experience, trust, confidence, hospitality, satisfaction, etc.
• Inseparability- To receive the service customer must be personally and physically present at the point of delivery. Customer cannot be separated from the point of delivery. Service is available at the Point of service Delivery (POD)
• Perishability- Perishable services are those services, which cannot be stored. Unused service of a particular day cannot be sold next day or in advance.
• Point of contact- Place, item, product, staff, service customer contact to receive service. It can be building, service environment, delivery items, staffs, follow travelers which they contact and receive positive or negative feelings.
7. What is Product formation, Service brigade and The Moment of Truth?
• Product formation – It can be defined as putting different products and services together to form a product for the satisfaction of customer. For e.g. Hospitality is a product formation which is not made from a single item.
• Service brigade- Team of staffs involved in providing service
• The Moment of Truth: It is the actual time when customer interacts with service staff. It is the moment of contact when no management has control. It is the motivation, skill, tools of the service and expectation, behavior, expectation of the customer determines the quality of the service.
8. What is the difference between Sun lust and Wanderlust in terms of hotel industry?
There is no much difference as both are desire to travel. Sun lust can be defined as travelling in search of sunshine/Adventure activities/Outdoor activities whereas wanderlust is the desire to travel far away and too many different places to explore those places.
9. Explain: Variability and Village tourism
• Variability - Services are highly variable. The quality of service depends upon how, when where and who provides them. Each time customer receives different levels of satisfaction from the same level of service; same food gives different test to different people.
• Village tourism - To utilize village and villagers for the purpose of tourism. Tourism managed and operated by villagers for the villagers. Tourism managed and operated by villagers for the villagers.
10. How hotels can be classified?
Hotels can be classified on the basis of:
• service and supplementary
• facilities or service (Star / Crown / Diamond )
• number of rooms,
• types of clients,
• length of stay of clients, (Star/Crown),
• Partnership, Franchise, Marketing, and Management
11. What do you understand by accommodation?
Accommodation can be defined as a place to stay overnight. There are two types of accommodations namely serviced and non serviced. Some of them are directly related to tourism and some of them are not directly related to tourism but they provide overnight stay facility for the travelers. Service accommodations provide housekeeping facility.
12. What do you understand by catering?
Catering refers to food and drinks whereas catering industry refers to hospitality industry that provides foods, drinks and in certain section accommodation also. Catering establishment is an organization, which provides food with an objective to satisfy its customer. It includes two aspects;
• one food and beverage
• Other is service.
13. What are different types of accommodation?
There are two types of accommodations, which are mentioned below:
• Service accommodation: This type of accommodation provides housekeeping service. Here service is provided to earn profit.
• Supplementary accommodation: This type of accommodation is not related to tourism and not registered as business organization also. They neither provide housekeeping facility nor they sell their service but they provide accommodation facility.
14. Explain the importance of an organization?
Organization is actually a process of combining the work of individuals or groups to fulfill a common goal of an enterprise. In a business organization, activities carried out to earn or produce asset or profit. It may be trade, commerce, industry or service.
15. What are the different types of rooms exist in a hotel?
Various types of rooms in a hotel are:
• Single Room
• Double Room / Twin Room
• Triple Room
• Suits - Single suits, Double suits, Duplex suit, Royal Suit, Pent house